What do you think of the "new" Sum 41 Sound?

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Gebirgskuchen
First name: Daniel
Instrument 1: Vocals
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Guitar

What do you think of the "new" Sum 41 Sound?

Post by Gebirgskuchen »

Yeah, I really wondered if the sound of Sum 41 hasn't totally changed during the last time. Especially listening to the performance@Summer Sonic 2007 (Over My Head Head) the sound of the guitars is totally horrible und too "popish" to me. To my mind they lost there old original sound the had from 2000-2005. In particular the heavier songs (All to Blame, Still Waiting) don't seem credible any more to my ear as they were supposed to sound like.
What do you think?Do you like the new Sum 41 sound?
washburn

Re: What do you think of the "new" Sum 41 Sound?

Post by washburn »

they've lost the metal edge they had to their sound before.. and that's not good :(
dearyou_182
Dr. Dynamite
First name: RJ
n00b: God.
Location: I'll take out your garbage for you.....I'll start in my pants.

Post by dearyou_182 »

Agreed.
But i still like it when they play the hard stuff, but yeah.....its just not the same :(
I'm the tower, you're the airplane.
If we could sit together a moment
and talk forever just to pass the time
i would smile as the shivers and chills run down my spine
when your eyes are locked on mine
Sharky39

Post by Sharky39 »

i think it has to do with the loss of dave, he really influenced sums heavier style, and without him they play the poppy-er style
Mike
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Mike »

i think there better now, its just at that summer sonic derycks guitar was really quiet
budgie
Underclass Hero

Post by budgie »

honestly, i dont really like it
ToMaTaN
Bunkface
n00b: God

Post by ToMaTaN »

well, nothing against Dave, but it showed how he dictated the Sums style.

like, Deryck n Steve founded the band, and it started out punk rock, then became more metal than anything, but now he's gone, it's pop punk.

don't get me wrong, i loved the metal stuff

No Brains (live) is my favourite song
King of Contradiction
Bunkface

Post by King of Contradiction »

Sum41s new sound is different, I honestly prefer Sum41 live when it was with Dave, he was better than Brown Tom no question and the last few Sum41 shows i've been to just reminded me how lazy things have gotten, then again the shows became scripted way before even the chuck dayz. Who knows what will happen next.
washburn

Post by washburn »

i don't like brown toms guitar tone at all...it has no "power" at all.. but he's a great guitar player though
Gibsum 41
Underclass Hero
AKA: Gib
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by Gibsum 41 »

i totally agree. i mean my opiinion wouldnt be much since i havent been to any Sum 41 shows but the gitar does sound crappy. maybe its the sound deryck had been looking for (probably for a long time) and dave didnt agree with it. but yea, now they're just another pop-punk band (not saying a bad one). what i most enjoyed about sum was their combination of pop punk with other genres like hip hop (AKNF) or metal (Chuck). i know people say dave didnt do anything for the band but the guitar sound says otherwise

NoReason27 is my mastah.
Kano and Still Waiting are my official n00bs. Mess with them and before you know it you'll be working in Nickelodeon :twisted:
J-pan, xmarryxx and conspiracyof1000 are my grandn00bs and T. is my brothah
pierre29
Bunkface

Post by pierre29 »

well...i love the new Sum41 n the old Sum41..yeah theyr less metal..but i think theyr not like other pop punk bands out there... theyr so original even in slower songs..n what i love most about Sum41 is its powerful melodies n the fact theyr all the same funny guys we met with the first single a few years ago!
theyr still on the edge..n theyr still Sum41!
BrandonCorey
Ma Poubelle

Post by BrandonCorey »

personally I'd like to see more of the HHOP style. It's just the most punk influenced thing they've wrote. AKNF was mor pop-punk, DTLI was pretty punk but it started to go in the wrong direction, Chuck has no trace of punk at all and well UH is just different.
BrandonCorey
Ma Poubelle

Post by BrandonCorey »

O yea and Dave kicks ass and Tom sucks balls
Ken
Administrator
Administrator
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: your sister

Post by Ken »

Pop sells. And Sum 41 want to sell. So, no more metal.

I miss Chuck-era Sum 41.
Phili
Underclass Hero
First name: Gavinji

Post by Phili »

Um... I've actually been to a Sum 41 show recently. *waves* Hello. The guitars sound fine. They don't really sound different. Obviously Tom brings a slightly different sound to Dave's old parts, but it's not a bad or overly noticable difference.

Geez. These guys can't catch a break. "Over My Head" does not sound different than it did before live. When they're playing "We're All To Blame" and the instrumental bit of "88", it sounds exactly like it should and like it has in the past. But one performance where Deryck's guitar wasn't loud enough and therefore sounded a bit different, and everyone leaps on them and decides that their sound has completely changed.

Yes, the guitars don't sound exactly the same. Big surprise. They have a different lead guitarist now.

Speaking of Tom, LEAVE HIM ALONE. He's not as talented as Dave was, but he's not the talentless little shit that you guys are all making him out to be.

And excuse me? Have you heard the pop-punk that's going on right now? Sum is a bit poppier with this new album, but it is an extremely low blow to call them "just another pop-punk band". That is both mean and untrue. With every other band you can say that they're "just another Fall Out Boy" or "just another Good Charlotte"... Sum 41 is not "just another" anything.

Sometimes you all REALLY depress me.
Adam (Open Your Eyes), Amy (Mr. Penguin), and Sasha (Young,Dumb,And Full Of Cum...) are my noobs.
Claudia is my grand-noob.
Lisette (bunny) is my great-grand noob.
wiggs1441
Underclass Hero
First name: Sagiv
n00b: BrandonCorey, Kyle

Post by wiggs1441 »

I really like it. but compared to HHOP, AKNF, DTLI?, and Chuck It sucks. buts still good.
tomhoppus is my Master!
NoReason27 is my Grand-master!
BrandonCorey is my N00B!
Sum-42 is my Grand N00B!

Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

Phili wrote:Um... I've actually been to a Sum 41 show recently. *waves* Hello. The guitars sound fine. They don't really sound different. Obviously Tom brings a slightly different sound to Dave's old parts, but it's not a bad or overly noticable difference.

Geez. These guys can't catch a break. "Over My Head" does not sound different than it did before live. When they're playing "We're All To Blame" and the instrumental bit of "88", it sounds exactly like it should and like it has in the past. But one performance where Deryck's guitar wasn't loud enough and therefore sounded a bit different, and everyone leaps on them and decides that their sound has completely changed.

Yes, the guitars don't sound exactly the same. Big surprise. They have a different lead guitarist now.

Speaking of Tom, LEAVE HIM ALONE. He's not as talented as Dave was, but he's not the talentless little shit that you guys are all making him out to be.

And excuse me? Have you heard the pop-punk that's going on right now? Sum is a bit poppier with this new album, but it is an extremely low blow to call them "just another pop-punk band". That is both mean and untrue. With every other band you can say that they're "just another Fall Out Boy" or "just another Good Charlotte"... Sum 41 is not "just another" anything.

Sometimes you all REALLY depress me.
and thats why you're the Philister
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I don't know how much the tone has changed since late 2007, but the Tom's tone for Over My Head during Summer Sonic was terrible.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OF9MlmzWkeY

In comparison to: http://youtube.com/watch?v=2tbVR8F_gxw

So yeah, it's different considering those two performances. The riff for Over My Head was meant to have a chunky tone. I don't think Tom's a crappy guitar player, in fact he's doing a great job. It's his guitar tone I don't like.
heartcore-prisoners
Bunkface
Instrument 2: guitar

Post by heartcore-prisoners »

Chyeah. I totally agree.

They.. themselves are alright, personality wise. Though they arent as fun anymore. Deryck has become a control freak.

And the guitar sounds are NOT as great. They sound really REALLY light compared to before.. I hate it
Kano
King of Contradiction
First name: Kane
Instrument 1: Vocals
Instrument 2: Guitar

Post by Kano »

ToMaTaN wrote:well, nothing against Dave, but it showed how he dictated the Sums style.

like, Deryck n Steve founded the band, and it started out punk rock, then became more metal than anything, but now he's gone, it's pop punk.

don't get me wrong, i loved the metal stuff

No Brains (live) is my favourite song
yeh please never ever say they where metal becuase soz they wernt they where alternative not one song is metal but btw io love all there stuff but there new stuff isnt as good as old but it is still awsome lol

Bad To The Cone
J-Pan Is My noob
http://www.myspace.com/patofplan