What Separates Me From You

Lots of music around nowadays. Want to talk about it?
dezik41
First name: Patrik
Instrument 2: guitar

What Separates Me From You

Post by dezik41 »

hi, i get new Album by A DAY TO REMEMBER ... it is amazing ... heard it anyone ?
hello..
DeryckW
Billy Spleen
Last.fm Username: DeryckW

Re: What Separates Me From You

Post by DeryckW »

Album off the year? Not sure but it's definitely top five.
Too bad the album only contains 10 songs. I kinda want more songs.
Sometimes I can't help think that I have you right behind me all this time
If only you could have a chance to see
All the happiness you gave to me
dezik41
First name: Patrik
Instrument 2: guitar

Post by dezik41 »

yes it's short album.. like EP or what ... but anyway great songs and stuff. Am still listening to songs again, again ... and again
hello..
Filespit
Bunkface
First name: Peter

Post by Filespit »

I listened through the album earlier today. I like it, lots of good stuff on it.
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

I really enjoyed the album, I would still say For Those Who Have Heart is my number 1 from these guys.
[donate][/donate]
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

Well, this album is great... but I guess its not better than any of their previous work. I mean, the beauty of ADTR was combining this teenage pop punk kinda sound with hardcore/metalcore, unclean vocals and breakdowns and they did it amazingly, especially on For Those Who Have Heart, and also Homesick (though it was worse than FTWHH), and this album... well, comparing it to the older stuff its a disappointment for me at least (and I really really love these guys!), cuz there's almost none breakdowns/unclean vocals and such.. only on "Sticks & Bricks", "2nd Sucks" and "You'll Be Tails, I'll Be Sonic"...
I mean, all the songs are great! But they are just this lighthearted pop punk/punk rock kinda thing... and these are pretty catchy and cool stuff but ADTR could do much better, doing what made them really unique in this post-hardcore genre back with FTWHH and ATNWT. This album is good just doesn't sound unique in any form like their older work.. and I don't think its a growth in their sound.

Also, its fuckin' short. It's only like 31:30 mins, its fuckin' nothing, its like the Sums HHOP and that was an EP. I dunno why they decided to only record 10 songs. I mean, the whole thing felt rushed anyway, released only like a year and a half after their last album, plus they recorded it in a very little time in between tours this year and they were on tour like 90% of the time this year, so yeah it was rushed, but at least add a few more, maybe a bonus track or whatever. It ends just too fast!
soft-punker
Bunkface
First name: Zoli
Last.fm Username: rocknrollazz

Post by soft-punker »

I haven't heard the album yet, I'll listen to it when the scene rip comes out. Although I read everywhere that the album sucks, and it's the biggest disappointment of the year for a lot of people.

Blame Victory Records.
[Last.fm]________RateYourMusic

"If looks could really kill, then my profression would be staring..."
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Hentaiman »

Yeah, I think Victory fuckin' rushed them with this one after the success of Homesick. I mean, as much as I like to get a new album from a band I really like within a year (unlike Sum 41's new album...), I think this album was rushed as fuck... I mean, they just finished touring Homesick in August!! And In October they already started touring the new album... not to mention they were touring 90% of this year so they had barely time to work on the songs and recordings and I guess that's also why it's so short.

Even their latest single from Homesick - "Have In Faith In Me" was released like less than half a year ago and they already released a new album.. its too fuckin' rushed, they could tour Homesick for another year, then record it and maybe keep writing and coming up with less rushed stuff. That's why at least we can count on Deryck that the Sums' album would be good cuz he took his time and kept writing alot
withchappedlips
First name: Kyle
AKA: Official Brand New Fanboy
360 Gamer Tag: TeachMeHow2Kyle
PSN ID: iSeeKyle
Instrument 1: Microphone
Instrument 3: Synth
Last.fm Username: KyleFTLx
Twitter: withchappedlips

Post by withchappedlips »

Album sucks. I don't see what is so great about it for most of you. The entire thing was rushed. I don't know how you guys can enjoy the vocalist's clean vocals so much. Combine the mediocre cleans with boring music, and you get a really boring album. 2nd Sucks got my hopes up, but there's like... 3 breakdowns on the record, and it just sounds nothing like an ADTR album. I can't wait until they're off this label. Terrible album by a band that could have made a fantastic album.

My fear is that ADTR is going the Atreyu route, and that would be horrendous. Atreyu is a joke of the band they used to be. I really hope ADTR doesn't do that. Having one heavy song on an album full of boring, bland pop songs isn't going to work for me.

Also, Hentaiman, if you look at the general album released on a label like Rise or Victory these days, the albums generally only contain 10 songs. Here's a short list that I can name off the top of my head from bands that have released albums from either label in 2010 that only have 10 songs...

Attack Attack
A Bullet For Pretty Boy
Scarlett O'Hara
Abandon All Ships
Woe, Is Me
Miss May I
The Amity Affliction

I'm running out of albums off the top of my head... I had this discussion recently with someone about albums being shortened.

I think it's something to do with selling albums. Albums that are 10 songs can be shelved for cheaper than albums with 13 songs, I think. I don't know if that's correct, but I think record labels are beginning to punish listeners for buying digital albums for $9.99 regardless of an album being 10 songs long or 15 songs long. So, instead of allowing a band to put together 15 songs they want to play, they try and keep them down to 10.

That's just a theory.
And I know I said I needed space,

but I know I can't be comfortable in my own skin.

So when I say I'm scared to be alone, you know I mean it,

I'm just not ready to leave my room.

[donate][/donate]
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Hentaiman »

^
Well, if you're theory is right, then it sucks donkey balls! Now when I think about it, you're right about the Attack Attack, Miss May I, Woe Is Me albums, etc. That sucks... I bet ADTR wrote more songs as well, even though it was rushed, but still with the whole thing being rushed maybe they felt the other songs were even worse and they just had to record it fast before going on tour again and all, so they went ahead and just recorded 10... then again, I don't think all those other albums by all these post-hardcore bands were rushed and they are also very short.
CIRCUITzach
Underclass Hero
First name: Zachary

Post by CIRCUITzach »

nothing is topping Lowcountry by Envy on the Coast
Peterr
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Peter

Post by Peterr »

I enjoy this album a lot actually.
soft-punker
Bunkface

Post by soft-punker »

Alligator Blood. wrote: [...]
Attack Attack
A Bullet For Pretty Boy
Scarlett O'Hara
Abandon All Ships
Woe, Is Me
Miss May I
The Amity Affliction
[...]
Hentaiman wrote: [...] all these post-hardcore bands [...]
None of those bands are even close to post-hardcore.

I'm listening to the album right now, the first song is ok. I'll edit this comment when I finish the album.

Edit: Fuck, it sucks. It's pretty average, but compared to their other works, it's awful. The biggest disappointment of the year. The new Underoath and JEW albums are just the second ones now, because after their previous albums I didn't have high expectations.
Last edited by soft-punker on Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

soft-punker wrote:
Attack Attack
A Bullet For Pretty Boy
Scarlett O'Hara
Abandon All Ships
Woe, Is Me
Miss May I
The Amity Affliction
[...]
I agree with Attack Attack! since their new album has more metalcore elements but the others I believe are new wave Post Hardcore.
[donate][/donate]
soft-punker
Bunkface

Post by soft-punker »

Boni Boy Blue wrote:
soft-punker wrote:
Attack Attack
A Bullet For Pretty Boy
Scarlett O'Hara
Abandon All Ships
Woe, Is Me
Miss May I
The Amity Affliction
[...]
I agree with Attack Attack! since their new album has more metalcore elements but the others I believe are new wave Post Hardcore.
All of those bands play either metalcore or emocore, they don't have any post-hardcore elements in their music, and there is no such thing as "new wave post-hardcore". Don't believe what scene kids say. Post-hardcore bands are like Quicksand, Glassjaw, Handsome, At the Drive-In, The Nation of Ulysses, Lower, Renee Heartfelt, Memorial, etc. If you listen to enough post-hardcore bands, then you will not that what's the difference between emocore, metalcore, and post-hardcore.
Last edited by soft-punker on Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bobbyjames
Cocknosher
First name: Daniel
PSN ID: bobbyjames69
Last.fm Username: cbar05
Twitter: @Daniel_Bartlett

Post by Bobbyjames »

applecore.
Rocket41
Billy Spleen
First name: Taylor

Post by Rocket41 »

I looove If I Leave. Such a fantastic song!

DeryckW
Billy Spleen
Last.fm Username: DeryckW

Post by DeryckW »

soft-punker wrote:All of those bands play either metalcore or emocore, they don't have any post-hardcore elements in their music, and there is no such thing as "new wave post-hardcore". Don't believe what scene kids say. Post-hardcore bands are like Quicksand, Glassjaw, Handsome, At the Drive-In, The Nation of Ulysses, Lower, Renee Heartfelt, Memorial, etc. If you listen to enough post-hardcore bands, then you will not that what's the difference between emocore, metalcore, and post-hardcore.

Look what we got here, a genre fagot.
Sometimes I can't help think that I have you right behind me all this time
If only you could have a chance to see
All the happiness you gave to me
withchappedlips
First name: Kyle
AKA: Official Brand New Fanboy
360 Gamer Tag: TeachMeHow2Kyle
PSN ID: iSeeKyle
Instrument 1: Microphone
Instrument 3: Synth
Last.fm Username: KyleFTLx
Twitter: withchappedlips

Post by withchappedlips »

soft-punker wrote: All of those bands play either metalcore or emocore, they don't have any post-hardcore elements in their music, and there is no such thing as "new wave post-hardcore". Don't believe what scene kids say. Post-hardcore bands are like Quicksand, Glassjaw, Handsome, At the Drive-In, The Nation of Ulysses, Lower, Renee Heartfelt, Memorial, etc. If you listen to enough post-hardcore bands, then you will not that what's the difference between emocore, metalcore, and post-hardcore.
I think you really have to use the term "post-hardcore" loosely these days. I just call most of those bands "genericore" or "scenecore"... Both of those terms lack actual musical relevance, but get the point across if I were to discuss music with someone like you, who actually knows a thing or two about music.

Honestly, I could understand why some of these bands are grouped as post-hardcore. It's a tough call, because people mix the "emocore" genre in with the "post-hardcore" genre, and at this point, I think people will take a band like Of Mice & Men, and say "oh, this band isn't nearly as heavy as The Devil Wears Prada, so they can't be metalcore... so they must be a post-hardcore band".

I think the post-hardcore genre has really shifted. Bands like My Chemical Romance and the Used really destroyed it. People looked at the "emo" genre, and said that it was dead, so they shifted to calling every band post-hardcore, and then bands like those mentioned above really took the "emo/post-hardcore" style of the early 2000s to new levels of shitty. This resulted, most likely, in a large amount of labels trying to sound bands similar in style to these guys. Actually, more specifically, Chiodos. Chiodos' "Alls Well That Ends Well" was extremely instrumental to the new age post-hardcore movement.

It's hard to imagine that the album came out in 2005, because it is extremely similar to a lot of music that has been released and considered post-hardcore since then.

Anyways, I could go on and on. Every band started getting marketed like they were a Chiodos / Used / MCR style band... bands like From First To Last, Drop Dead Gorgeous, etc... they all kind of pioneered this current shitty trend in post-hardcore music. I can understand where that kid is coming from in calling it post-hardcore. I think "scenecore" should really become a genre, because that's all this shit is.

Also, Miss May I is closer to metalcore than post-hardcore.

One last thing, Attack Attack! has to be the worst live headlining band I have ever seen.
And I know I said I needed space,

but I know I can't be comfortable in my own skin.

So when I say I'm scared to be alone, you know I mean it,

I'm just not ready to leave my room.

[donate][/donate]
Mr-David-Blues
Dr. Rocco
First name: David
Instrument 1: Geetar
Instrument 2: Vocalization

Post by Mr-David-Blues »

soft-punker wrote:
Boni Boy Blue wrote:
soft-punker wrote:
Attack Attack
A Bullet For Pretty Boy
Scarlett O'Hara
Abandon All Ships
Woe, Is Me
Miss May I
The Amity Affliction
[...]
All of those bands play either metalcore or emocore, they don't have any post-hardcore elements in their music, and there is no such thing as "new wave post-hardcore". Don't believe what scene kids say. Post-hardcore bands are like Quicksand, Glassjaw, Handsome, At the Drive-In, The Nation of Ulysses, Lower, Renee Heartfelt, Memorial, etc. If you listen to enough post-hardcore bands, then you will not that what's the difference between emocore, metalcore, and post-hardcore.
please dont describe bands as emocore or emo its not big cool or clever