Sum 41 / SBM discussion

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Jeremy Kill
Re: "Screaming Bloody Murder" Discussion!

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Mike wrote:always go by the critics right?

screaming bloody murder has the same outro as skumfuk, pull the curtain, and we're all to blame.

and a chorus from a old demo is perfectly fine. ITS A DEMO. why waste the good qualities of a demo? dumb fuck.
we'll see what song charts better if you want to go buy commercial success, which im guess your suggesting since you edited a whole wikipedia pic to prove me wrong haha
I only went by those ratings because it seems everyone is on the same page. Can you really deny the opinions eight individuals? I felt the same way when I read their reviews.

Okay, the song ends on a quiet note, but you don't have to write it off as automatically bad just because other songs have it.

Dumb fuck? Thanks. How old are you by the way? Can you have a proper, constructive argument without calling people generic insults?

You think I edited that Wikipedia page? Okay, here's the links to some of those reviews then.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2007/ju ... .shopping3
http://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/1289 ... lass-Hero/
http://www.nme.com/reviews/sum-41/8771
http://www.allmusic.com/album/underclas ... 163/review
http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/6vxm
http://absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=254161
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/sum ... class-hero
kILLDR3n
Ma Poubelle
First name: Derek

Post by kILLDR3n »

The song is good, but not the BEST Sum 41 song ever as some people said. I'm sure there will be other songs on the new album that I like better than this and think should have been the first single instead.
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Andros »

Jeremy don't waste your time trying to this guy understand it or something, many of us wanted something better than Does This Look Infected? and Chuck and why not Underclass Hero too, and that "something" better has arrived and it's call "Screaming Bloody Murder", so many of us we should be glad that it was worth waiting 2 years for this awesome song and album.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I'm not saying Screaming Bloody Murder is their best song ever, but it does have a lot more power behind it and, in my opinion, a lot more character and emotion than Underclass Hero (the song).
Simon
Dr. Dynamite
n00b: Mitch
AKA: schlafanzyk
Instrument 1: Drums
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: schlafanzyk

Post by Simon »

How many times do we need to do this... I liked Underclass Hero at the time and still do because it is similar to something I liked before and because we finally got something new back then, but it's basically just another, a little more grown up version of Fat Lip. It's still fun to listen to every once in a while for me, but I can totally see why it did not get good ratings although I think the fact that it has been done before doesn't make it bad, just not amazing. Commercially, it was a good single choice to get all the pop punk kids to buy it but given the fact that it is the title track, it did not represent the album properly. Walking Disaster would have been the right representative choice because it's more personal like the album overall.

It's a completely different story with Screaming Bloody Murder. Except for the familiar sounding intro and outro that we know Deryck likes to do to put the spotlight on the lyrics, it's a huge step from anything they have done, just like the album Underclass Hero as a whole was something very different to anything they have ever done because of the very personal songs and thought out song arrangement.
Last edited by Simon on Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
,,Artist? Come on now... I hit things for a living!"
- Stevo32

MMhhhh... sswwwshhhh... just can't get enough of that coke... aawbrrrrrbr ...
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

In essence, Screaming Bloody Murder is the sound I've wanted Sum 41 to have since I was 14 or 15 years old. When I first heard Chuck, I liked the darkness and the guitar riffs, but it seemed way too depressing for me at the time. I missed the melody. Then Underclass Hero came out and was melodic to the brink, but I missed the heaviness and dark atmosphere. Right now, Screaming Bloody Murder has blended all that together (finally) and it's part of the reason (maybe the main reason) I like this song.
lisaNL
Chuck
First name: Lisa
Instrument 2: the remote control
Last.fm Username: lisaNL

Post by lisaNL »

Omg I woke up this day, I saw the song, I heard the song and it's fucking awesome!!! Omg I'm going crazy.......
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

lisaNL wrote:Omg I woke up this day, I saw the song, I heard the song and it's fucking awesome!!! Omg I'm going crazy.......
Waking up to find a new song... It's kind of like Christmas Part 2!
Simon
Dr. Dynamite
n00b: Mitch
AKA: schlafanzyk
Instrument 1: Drums
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: schlafanzyk

Post by Simon »

Jeremy Kill wrote:In essence, Screaming Bloody Murder is the sound I've wanted Sum 41 to have since I was 14 or 15 years old. When I first heard Chuck, I liked the darkness and the guitar riffs, but it seemed way too depressing for me at the time. I missed the melody. Then Underclass Hero came out and was melodic to the brink, but I missed the heaviness and dark atmosphere. Right now, Screaming Bloody Murder has blended all that together (finally) and it's part of the reason (maybe the main reason) I like this song.
Why do I even waste my time posting here anymore, you always end up describing my own thoughts better than me anyway.
,,Artist? Come on now... I hit things for a living!"
- Stevo32

MMhhhh... sswwwshhhh... just can't get enough of that coke... aawbrrrrrbr ...
drummerlikestevo
Billy Spleen
First name: Lex

Post by drummerlikestevo »

Jeremy Kill wrote:Awe yeeeee. iPhone wallpaper! :2cool4u:

http://twitpic.com/3ptvp0
fuck yeah!
lisaNL
Chuck
First name: Lisa
Instrument 2: the remote control
Last.fm Username: lisaNL

Post by lisaNL »

So when I come home from school there will probably be a mp3 waiting for me? Oh god, this day's gonna be endless..................nooooo
Stef
Walking Disaster
First name: Stef
Instrument 2: Drums

Post by Stef »

just had the waking up thing for myself..

fuck yeah! fucking freakin awesome!!

Some days it just gets so hard
And I don’t wanna slip away.
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros

Post by Andros »

Hey guys, place your bets on what will be the "big, big news" for today :glad:
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher
First name: Daniel
PSN ID: bobbyjames69
Last.fm Username: cbar05
Twitter: @Daniel_Bartlett

Post by Bobbyjames »

I like this. alot.
fergal41
Goon
First name: Fergal
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by fergal41 »

Jeremy Kill wrote:Your post makes me feel like I'm being punk'd.
Best post of the thread so far

Maybe I'll regret saying this six and a half hours after first hearing the song, but I've got a feeling this album is going to be the band's Magnum Opus. Everything is done on such a different level in Screaming Bloody Murder. Musically, lyrically, production-wise and from a song-writing perspective it pisses all over the first singles from DTLI? and Chuck. I don't say that lightly - those are probably my two favourite albums ever.

I'm not gonna let anyone take the good out of it for me, anyway. I remember when Underclass Hero came out and we were all excited because we had new Sum 41 music and they were well written songs, but that was it. This time the excitement is because they genuinely seem to have taken a step forward and are raising teh phukking bar :2cool4u:
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher
First name: Daniel
PSN ID: bobbyjames69
Last.fm Username: cbar05
Twitter: @Daniel_Bartlett

Post by Bobbyjames »

this song has really given me hope for the new album. I liked Skumfuck, but not too much that it made me really look forward to the new album because it sounded like it would go a step in the direction for the Sum 41 sound I love. Screaming Bloody Murder does though.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

Well, I woke up this morning to find a nice single waiting for me and while it wasn't great quality since I'm listening off my iPhone, I have listened to it several times nonetheless and am reviewing it in a way.

The good: An excellent opening really complimenting deryks voice followed by a sweet ass riff. The fast-paced verse and powerful chorus fit well together. The guitar solo reminds me of MCR's Dead!, which is probably my favourite song from them and works well in this song.

The less-than-good: Well not much really. The first chorus comes across as a little weak, but nothing too noticeable, and the others make it work. Also, the very end, although quite strong, could have easily been much better.

Overall: I personally like the very dark, fast-paced yet melodic direction the album has taken and SBM does it justice as a first single and although not a perfect song by any means (or the sums best), it definitely ranks up near the top, roughly next to underclass hero (UH's saving grace is its solo and integrated punk chorus) and I can't wait to listen to the HQ album version on my mega-quality Senns!

Peace out, SBMs.
DW_60
Hooch
First name: Amin
Instrument 3: Drum
Twitter: aaminolo

Post by DW_60 »

Ils répondent à ma question en me citant 04:45 ! They answer my question by mentioning 4:45 am! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qId358iNRd8
Image Image

" Tu es mon petite poubelle. "
Amin #sum41france http://www.facebook.com/Sum41France
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Instrument 1: Guitar
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

now these are the sums i like ,we'll see with the rest of the album
fergal41
Goon
First name: Fergal
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by fergal41 »

DW_60 wrote:Ils répondent à ma question en me citant 04:45 ! They answer my question by mentioning 4:45 am! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qId358iNRd8
Haha, I don't know why I'm laughing. I just love Australian people

EDIT: FUCK YOU DERYCK for not answering the question about going to Ireland. Prick :sosad: