THERE IS A CHANCE!!!

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Jeremy Kill
Re: THERE IS A CHANCE!!!

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Yeah, Sum 41's live shows are becoming really repetative it seems. How many times does Deryck tell the crowd not to die on him because he needs them now more than ever?

I'm not saying they should come up with a completely new and original act every show because that's impossible. But it shouldn't be rehearsed to the point where everything flows sentence for sentence. Maybe at this point it's just out of habit and doesn't really matter anymore.
playker
First name: Iker
PSN ID: crazyvito
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by playker »

The best sum 41 concerts were in the AKNF era. watch Introduction to destruction
ChapStick
Bunkface

Post by ChapStick »

As much as i'd love this i still don't think it'll happen. I know how everything went a bit bad between rthe Sums before his departure but maybe when we went on stage with them the other night it made him remember all the good times and maybe he is having second thoguhts now. Doubt it though.
Phili
Underclass Hero
First name: Gavinji

Post by Phili »

Gunner wrote:Yeah, Sum 41's live shows are becoming really repetative it seems. How many times does Deryck tell the crowd not to die on him because he needs them now more than ever?
Once a show. Believe me. I actually made an effort to keep track at my show. He only said it once.

I hate how everyone's saying their shows are ENTIRELY scripted. They're not. Deryck is quite capable of improvising and he shows it. He made a comment about Social Code overusing the smoke machines at my show.
Adam (Open Your Eyes), Amy (Mr. Penguin), and Sasha (Young,Dumb,And Full Of Cum...) are my noobs.
Claudia is my grand-noob.
Lisette (bunny) is my great-grand noob.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

Phili wrote:
Gunner wrote:Yeah, Sum 41's live shows are becoming really repetative it seems. How many times does Deryck tell the crowd not to die on him because he needs them now more than ever?
Once a show. Believe me. I actually made an effort to keep track at my show. He only said it once.
he means at different shows.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Yeah, NoReason's right, I meant at every show he seems to do it. He even did it back in Pukkelpop 2003 I think.

But I'm not too hung up on their live shows since I still have yet to see one!! :(
Gebirgskuchen
First name: Daniel
Instrument 1: Vocals
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Guitar

Post by Gebirgskuchen »

It's not totally but mostly scripted. :wink:
They mostly have the sam Pyaylist they do, for example and their jokes are also the same. Of course there are some exceptions, but I can count them on my fingers.
Blastero

Post by Blastero »

Bullet_For_My_Valenzine wrote: dude you always look on the worse side of things. :?
I don't exactly see how I was "looking on the worse side of things" by pointing out that all the things Dave disliked about Sum 41 haven't changed. Perhaps I'm bringing up a somewhat negative point, but it's an important negative point that everyone seems to be overlooking.

I also don't particularly agree with the notion that seems to be going around that Dave leaving Sum 41 was a "bad" thing that needs to be corrected. Dave is an entirely different kind of musician than Deryck, Steve and Cone, and it's pretty clear that he was unhappy in Sum 41. Sure, the music has definitely changed because of his departure, and I don't personally know if I like the change in sound, but if Dave was really that unhappy in the band, it's probably for the best that he left.

As far as the shows being scripted, I think there's no excuse for how scripted they are. Plenty of bands have completely different setlists and side-comments at every show. NOFX is a perfect example of this. Their setlists change all the time, and it's not just like one or two songs. And they don't reuse jokes every single night.
spasticninja.41

Post by spasticninja.41 »

I don't think it matters whether the jokes are scripted or not (and I definitely don't think it has anything to do with Dave leaving), Sum 41's show should be about their music not what Deryck says in between songs. And even professional stand-up comedians repeat their jokes at each show, sometimes even several months later.

As for the band not enjoying themselves anymore, I think Deryck is too focussed on making money at the moment, which should never be what being in a band is about. It's kind of understandable though, I mean he's married now. No doubt he'll want to settle down eventually and supporting his wife and any kids they may or may not have is probably foremost in his mind. Everyone thinks musicians make plenty of money and have it easy but they don't earn nearly as much as they should, and generally end up spending more on making albums and going on tour than they earn from it. Plus most record labels do jack-shit to help out.

I love Sum 41 more than any other band, and I would like nothing than for them to keep touring and releasing albums forever. But in order to do that I think they may need to take a nice loooong holiday.

Wow, this turned into quite a long post. My apologies to anyone that was bored by this, but I felt like sharing my thoughts :)
LTS
Underclass Zero

Post by LTS »

spasticninja.41 wrote:, I think Deryck is too focussed on making money at the moment, which should never be what being in a band is about.)
It is if you are an unsigned indie band.....

but yeah, Deryck doesn't need any more money. Just send Avril out to get the money!
One of a Kind of Something
Phili
Underclass Hero

Post by Phili »

Yeah, but Deryck is a man's man and a gentleman. I would assume that he doesn't want his wife to have to be the breadwinner so he's doing his bit so that he can pay for his own stuff and pay for some stuff for her and them too.
Adam (Open Your Eyes), Amy (Mr. Penguin), and Sasha (Young,Dumb,And Full Of Cum...) are my noobs.
spider-man
Hooch

Post by spider-man »

yeah I was actually always thinking that the reason might be because avril is making so much more money then him, at the same job......that must be a blow to his pride. can't blame him if that's the case.
kevin5064
Hooch

Post by kevin5064 »

King of Contradiction wrote:Sounds good, although I'm slightly confused as to wether Sum41 are happy. While pre-underclass hero suggested they were full of energy and excitement, the shows have proven things have quickly gone pear shaped and turned a bit sour again.
Steve doesn't really care what he does anymore as long as he is getting paid and doing....something.
Cone appears to be very unhappy with underclass hero and this was apparent in the making of videos when Deryck was restricting Cones influence on the songs which is why it looks like Cone would rather be doing Operation M.D most of the time.
Deryck is enjoying his time in the spot light and while I tend to idolize the guy too much, it feels like Deryck is sticking the band to mainstream conventions and the shows feel forced and uncomfortable.

I hope Dave comes back, I really do. It isn't Sum41 without him, but while Sum41 might say their ruff times are over, after the underclass hero tours, things are going to be looked over and we'll have to wait and see wether the band continue the downward spiral (even though the music still rocks) or grab reality again and hopefully Dave along the way.
agreed.
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

spasticninja.41 wrote: No doubt he'll want to settle down eventually and supporting his wife and any kids they may or may not have is probably foremost in his mind.
trust me that kid would clean her/ his ass with 50€ because her mom (avril) is rich really rich she is in the top10 of young rich people under 25 yeras old so yep the baby wouldn't have any problem with money
Phili
Underclass Hero

Post by Phili »

Am I the only one who thinks that Cone is behind the album 100%? In videos, he looks far more excited about the music than Steve does and he raves about the album when he's not even prompted to.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I'm a little skeptic about how everyone feels after Deryck's injury regarding the success of the album and whatever potential it has left. So I don't know.

I just wanted to say though...
Avril will make more money (well, bring home) more money than Deryck because Sum 41 spends the money they make off touring paying off the damages they've done in dressing rooms and whatnot. Of course, it's not the primary reason. The primary reason is that Avril is more famous than Sum 41, so she'll sell more records.

Also Sum 41 were to take a break (a long break) then they wouldn't be making any money. As a musician, you need to sell records and tour to get the green. And it's not stressful writing new songs unless you've got a deadline. I'm pretty sure Sum 41 said they had the most fun writing and recording Uunderclass Hero.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip

Post by Hentaiman »

Phili wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that Cone is behind the album 100%? In videos, he looks far more excited about the music than Steve does and he raves about the album when he's not even prompted to.
Yeah sometimes it did. I mean, Steve never looked too excited with UH, Cone and Deryck were the ones to praise it and talk stuff about it that its their most fun album to record to date and most creative and whatever...
But Deryck mostly stated it in the beggining before the release of the album, that it was the most personal album for him and other good stuff about it, and later he just seemed like he's not that excited about it anymore.
Mr-David-Blues
Dr. Rocco
First name: David
Instrument 1: Geetar
Instrument 2: Vocalization

Post by Mr-David-Blues »

If anyone was at the barrowlands concert in glasgow they know, like me, that one was different from the rest, it just seemed to have so much fucking atmousphere and vibe to it, the crowd was crazy, duno if that was just cuz i was there lol, anyway, they seemed to be enjoying themselves at that conceret, il admit that they do alot of stuff they do at other concerts such as: the elvis cover, letting some1 play Derycks guitar, Tom dancing? ect
But i think they only do that because its what thw crowd knows and love, when Deryck came out dressed as Elvis the crowd errupted, and there was almost a riot at the front of the crowd when he asked some1 to play his guitar
If they wernt happy do you think they would continue to tour and write new songs?
For any band the fans are the main priority they are doing what they are doing
For Sum 41 to get up on stage and make the crowd go crazy and chant their name must be the best feeling ever
and it that doesnt make them happy what will?
well thats my opinion anyway
I think they ARE happy with what their doing right now, and if their happy, im happy, and so should all of you be
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip

Post by Hentaiman »

Mr-David-Blues wrote:If anyone was at the barrowlands concert in glasgow they know, like me, that one was different from the rest, it just seemed to have so much fucking atmousphere and vibe to it, the crowd was crazy, duno if that was just cuz i was there lol, anyway, they seemed to be enjoying themselves at that conceret, il admit that they do alot of stuff they do at other concerts such as: the elvis cover, letting some1 play Derycks guitar, Tom dancing? ect
But i think they only do that because its what thw crowd knows and love, when Deryck came out dressed as Elvis the crowd errupted, and there was almost a riot at the front of the crowd when he asked some1 to play his guitar
If they wernt happy do you think they would continue to tour and write new songs?
For Sum 41 to get up on stage and make the crowd go crazy and chant their name must be the best feeling ever
I think they ARE happy with what their doing right now, and if their happy, im happy, and so should all of you be
Well, Dave isn't
Mr-David-Blues
Dr. Rocco
First name: David
Instrument 1: Geetar
Instrument 2: Vocalization

Post by Mr-David-Blues »

Hentaiman wrote:
Mr-David-Blues wrote:If anyone was at the barrowlands concert in glasgow they know, like me, that one was different from the rest, it just seemed to have so much fucking atmousphere and vibe to it, the crowd was crazy, duno if that was just cuz i was there lol, anyway, they seemed to be enjoying themselves at that conceret, il admit that they do alot of stuff they do at other concerts such as: the elvis cover, letting some1 play Derycks guitar, Tom dancing? ect
Well, Dave isn't
Thats the thing
Dave isnt in the band anymore
dont meen to sound rude or disrespectful or anything
I think everyone just neds to accept that he has left the band and move on
Sum 41 have
dont mean to offend any dave fans
i like dave as much as you guys do