Went to the Green Day concert last night

Lots of music around nowadays. Want to talk about it?
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Re: Went to the Green Day concert last night

Post by Tyler. »

Emil wrote:That's the thing that makes both Green Day and Sum 41 a much better live band than blink. The actually interact with the crowd while blink tells them to yell fuck every once in a while.
errrm, sum 41 are not a good live band. they can play their shit solidly and it sounds awesome, but they have shit stage presence and don't put on that good of a show, from any video i've ever seen - and the concert i went to. blink talks and does random shit which is funny.

green day are definitely kings of the live show though. saw them in australia and it was epic
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Tyler. wrote:
Emil wrote:That's the thing that makes both Green Day and Sum 41 a much better live band than blink. The actually interact with the crowd while blink tells them to yell fuck every once in a while.
errrm, sum 41 are not a good live band. they can play their shit solidly and it sounds awesome, but they have shit stage presence and don't put on that good of a show, from any video i've ever seen - and the concert i went to. blink talks and does random shit which is funny.

green day are definitely kings of the live show though. saw them in australia and it was epic
What? You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

I can't say a word about blink, since I've never seen them live or watched any clips. But to say that Sums are not a good live band? Shit stage presence? WHAT?

If you think Green Day is a good live band, then you can't say Sums suck. Sums are the almost the same, but in smaller scale. They don't have the special effects GD has, but they sure can pump up the crowd. Bringing people on stage, letting them play the instruments, crowd singing, stage dives and other ways to interact with the crowd. What more you can ask for from a band that doesn't play the 30,000-people venues every week?

You can't judge them by only one show and few clips. It's true that Sums have not always been the same as they are now. Their shows vary from era to era, so if you say that Sum 41 IS a shitty live band, you're wrong.

I've seen Sums three times, once in 2008 and twice this month, and I've seen Green Day twice too.
After the 2008 Sum-show, I thought they were nowhere near GD. But after seeing them live this year, I must say Sums' stage presence is at least as good as GD's, if not better.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

Yeah, from clips I saw from the 2007-2008 UH era shows, they pretty much sucked live back then but from clips of our from this year, I can definitely see some spark is back. Its not the crazy stage presence they had during the AKNF and DTLI eras, but still the spark is back!
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

TomiT14 wrote: What? You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

I can't say a word about blink, since I've never seen them live or watched any clips. But to say that Sums are not a good live band? Shit stage presence? WHAT?

If you think Green Day is a good live band, then you can't say Sums suck. Sums are the almost the same, but in smaller scale. They don't have the special effects GD has, but they sure can pump up the crowd. Bringing people on stage, letting them play the instruments, crowd singing, stage dives and other ways to interact with the crowd. What more you can ask for from a band that doesn't play the 30,000-people venues every week?

You can't judge them by only one show and few clips. It's true that Sums have not always been the same as they are now. Their shows vary from era to era, so if you say that Sum 41 IS a shitty live band, you're wrong.

I've seen Sums three times, once in 2008 and twice this month, and I've seen Green Day twice too.
After the 2008 Sum-show, I thought they were nowhere near GD. But after seeing them live this year, I must say Sums' stage presence is at least as good as GD's, if not better.
yes i do

they are not a good live band. every video i've seen from the last year (lots) are boring. oh they get a few people on stage to play guitar? no one gives a shit about that. and the people that get on stage otherwise just get to stand on the side. they walk around the stage moving the neck of the guitar a bit and trying to look awesome. it's rather boring.

billie joe knows what he's doing. not even deryck is that great at handling the crowd. he just shouts pointless boring crap
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Tyler. wrote:yes i do

they are not a good live band. every video i've seen from the last year (lots) are boring. oh they get a few people on stage to play guitar? no one gives a shit about that. and the people that get on stage otherwise just get to stand on the side. they walk around the stage moving the neck of the guitar a bit and trying to look awesome. it's rather boring.
This I can almost agree. Sums were quite boring in UH era compared to previous years, don't know about last year since I haven't watched that many clips. But this year they have a whole different attitude than previous years, so to judge their current shape without being at their shows this year is not possible. And the people on stage thing, it's a great experience for the fan who gets there, but to the rest of the crowd not that much, but I still think it's a cool thing to do by the band.
Tyler. wrote:billie joe knows what he's doing. not even deryck is that great at handling the crowd. he just shouts pointless boring crap
This I lol'd. What does Billie Joe do what Deryck doesn't?
I saw GD twice during their 21CB tour. Yes they were awesome shows, but he wasn't that different from Deryck's performance. The only notable difference was that BJ brought more people on stage, which you said "no one gives a shit about that".

So please tell me, since I still can't follow you, what makes GD an awesome band and Sums to suck? The only difference I find is that GD has bigger venues and special effects, and longer setlists. And yeah, toilet paper guns and t-shirt bazookas, but I would've lived without them.