A 6th Album?

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

DUBWOOD
Bunkface

Post by DUBWOOD »

i agree with the majority of what your saying

i think that they did concentrate about being a band alot with their earlier albums, but you have to agree that that's what also gave them their charm.

Their earlier albums seem alot tighter than their later
***MY FIRST SUM41 ALBUM WASN'T ALL KILLER***
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

I agree with what Phili is saying about the whole over-thinking process. I think Deryck tried too hard to make Underclass Hero the best thing that could possibly be made and in the process ended up making something less original than their previous works.

It is definately evident that Deryck is trying to focus more on the music's sound rather than how to play the music.

I'm sure the Sums may squeeze out one more album. I only say this because Deryck said something about their next record having an evolved sound from Underclass Hero (or something of the like).

The only problem I see with that is where Deryck is going to take the next album. He's already written about himself. Is he going to go back to writing about subjects from Infected and Chuck? Is the music going to stay the same? The only direction the music can go, really, is if more guitar is incorporated. Unless Deryck decides to incorporate more instruments.

As for me, I really hope Underclass Hero is not Sum 41's last CD. It's good, but I don't think it does Sum 41 justice what they're really all about.
Phili
Underclass Hero
First name: Gavinji

Post by Phili »

Oh, there's a lot of ways Deryck can go with the next album. If I was a horrible person, I'd wish for a certain change in Deryck's life that would give him a lot to work with, but I won't. Not only am I very happy for him, but I just do not want to see Deryck fall into the shadows again like he did in 2005 (not sure what was going on there).
Adam (Open Your Eyes), Amy (Mr. Penguin), and Sasha (Young,Dumb,And Full Of Cum...) are my noobs.
Claudia is my grand-noob.
Lisette (bunny) is my great-grand noob.
Bakhruz

Post by Bakhruz »

i wanna see in their new album more crazy punk songs
Ausdude
First name: Austin

Post by Ausdude »

well, the sum of 4 and 1 is 5.
thus 5 albums.
but I do hope for a 6th.
hmmm... what style?
dunno.
I love everything they've done, so it won't matter to me.
:D
d4rkst4r
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Kevin

Post by d4rkst4r »

DUBWOOD wrote:my honest to god opinion:

not going to happen.

i'll be very surprised if they put out another album, simply because i feel the group is fractured (not because of dave): their sound is fractured, their fanbase, and i now its more about the money than being creative.

They did not make any progress as a band or to their sound from the last record.

just my opinion, i would appreciate it if you would justify your response to this if you feel you need to, instead of questioning my sexuality, morals, and taste in music.
How about you learn about something, before you talk about it? If you did any research, you would realize they charted better with Underclass Hero then All Killer No Filler.

As for my opinion, 1 of 2 things will happen. They will release another Sum 41 or Deryck Whibley will do a solo album.
tomhoppus is my hero.
d4rkst4r
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Kevin

Post by d4rkst4r »

Phili wrote:Oh. Well basically what I meant is that in the past Sum 41 has written the songs and then demoed them and then gone into the studio and recorded them officially. End of story, and the lyrics get added in somewhere.

I think spending more time on the lyrics was wise, but otherwise, they spent WAY too much time and thought on everything else. Sum 41 makes less repetitive music when Deryck is under pressure and forces his creativity out. It must be the frustration or having his bandmates around constantly or something, but it's amazing what Deryck can do when he's stressed and running out of time.

The first 3 Sum 41 albums were written over 2 months each and Chuck was written in 5 months. Underclass Hero was written over, what, 10 months? That's double the amount of time Chuck took and five times how long the first 3 took individually. Deryck probably had a million individual ideas for this album but they had way too much time to crash into each other. The songs flowed together in Deryck's mind so much that they at some points became each other.
I think you posted a good argument and it's well though out, but I don't think that's the problem. I think it was him becoming a producer. When Sum 41 released "Does This Look Infected?" I was blown away at how good it was, and I think a majority of people here would agree with that. Why was it so good? Greig Nori produced it, so I think most of the ideas came from him. So what I'm getting at is, maybe with a little more musical direction with a producer, sum 41 can bounce back.
tomhoppus is my hero.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

They need Greig Nori back as a co-producer!

he was great! and Treble Charger is great too!
Phili
Underclass Hero

Post by Phili »

Greig was a very helpful part of their creative process, I will admit that.
Adam (Open Your Eyes), Amy (Mr. Penguin), and Sasha (Young,Dumb,And Full Of Cum...) are my noobs.
Mike
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Mike »

i would like the next album to be like the Underclass Hero b-sides, like songs from AKNF but more mature
Blastero

Post by Blastero »

Long post ahead.

I don't see why they wouldn't release another album.

Just from observing, it seems that they made such a big deal out of reforming themselves as musicians and a band for this album that some people concluded that they would have nowhere to go after Underclass Hero, and they'd "Go out with a bang" or something along those lines. And that's a pretty reasonable conclusion to make. I thought that might happen for a while myself.

Since Underclass Hero was such a big deal for them, and they kept talking about how much better the entire process was for this album than any other, you start to think that they won't be able to go back to just kinda cranking out albums the old way. And obviously, they can't intentionally try to recreate the whole experience of Underclass Hero with their next album, because then it will just seem forced and faked. So it's easy to conclude that this may be their last album.

But we also need to realize that Deryck really likes what he does. He likes playing music and writing songs and stuff. I can never see him not doing that for a living. I think as long as he's able to keep a healthy relationship with his bandmates, and is able to keep writing music he likes and playing it, he has no real reason to stop doing it with Sum 41.
Phili
Underclass Hero

Post by Phili »

And I don't really see anything happening to ruin said healthy relationship with his bandmates.

*knock on wood*
Rick
Jessica Kill

Post by Rick »

the underclass hero bsides were terrible. and i doubt there will be another album.
http://searchwithsum41.prodege.com/?cmd ... &rb=143979
go there and sign up and win cool shit.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

true, they weren't that good. but, i think there will be another album, but its way too early to guess, i mean, the CD just came out 6 months ago, and they haen't played many shows. maybe near the end it will be more clear.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

As long as Sum 41 is still making albums, I'm happy. Even if it takes them 10 years to come out with another hit like Fat Lip, I'll be happy.

To most people Sum 41 hasn't come out of the shadow of All Killer No Filler. Ask someone which album they prefer, Underclass or All Killer. The majority of the time, All Killer seems to be picked.

I am waiting for the day that Sum 41 makes an album where the majority of people end up choosing the new one over All Killer.
LTS
Underclass Zero

Post by LTS »

Gunner wrote:As long as Sum 41 is still making albums, I'm happy. Even if it takes them 10 years to come out with another hit like Fat Lip, I'll be happy.

To most people Sum 41 hasn't come out of the shadow of All Killer No Filler. Ask someone which album they prefer, Underclass or All Killer. The majority of the time, All Killer seems to be picked.

I am waiting for the day that Sum 41 makes an album where the majority of people end up choosing the new one over All Killer.
i have a sad feeling that won't happen...
One of a Kind of Something
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

Well, hopefully Sum 41 can find a producer for the next album to help them out a bit. Someone should Q&A the website and see if Deryck plans on producing the next album. It's probably way too early to get a good answer though.
Phili
Underclass Hero

Post by Phili »

I DEFINITELY prefer Underclass over All Killer.
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

Yeah me too actually.
LTS
Underclass Zero

Post by LTS »

certian songs i like and certian ones i don't one both of them...
One of a Kind of Something