Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

Yeah, the voice in the UH is the best part about it.
cool kids
Ma Poubelle

Post by cool kids »

umm aknf but dtli? is up there too. so basically everything but the chuck era. his vocals were not that great.
July 5 2003 Sum 41 show
Jonny
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Jonny »

I don't like how the jumped around in the old days, reminds me of boy bands.

Guest is my noob.
Byzzy

Post by Byzzy »

i think that they kinda sucked at the AKNF era, but i believe they rocked on the does this look infected area
Pull_The_Curtis
Ma Poubelle

Post by Pull_The_Curtis »

Does This Look Infected? Era, mainly because Deryck was fuckin crazy cause he was wasted 90percent of the time, and the inconsistency in his singing made it interesting. fuckin awesome era. i miss it. seriosuly. bs now compared to then.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Hentaiman »

Why boybands, Jonny? haha, boybands is a lot worse, those fuckin' boybands can't play a fuckin' instrument.

They just stand like some fuckin' fags, 9 guys, sing the same shit and dance around in some gay dance moves, that they haven't even made up by themsleves :lol:

What the sums did showed the crazy punk energy, something lots of Punk bands did always, even the Sex Pistols.
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

Haha, maybe it was because they jumped in sync? I never really had a problem with it.

I wish they would do the dance from Makes No Difference again though. Not the same without Dave... but it'd be kind of funny to see Tom do it.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Hentaiman »

Yeah! i love that dance from Makes No Difference! it owns!!! :lol:

Would be weird Tom does it, though.
fergal41
Goon
First name: Fergal

Post by fergal41 »

Their overall sound in the All Killer era wasnt that good (just watch the astoria show for proof!) but their energy was great and the way Deryck was ten times more confident on guitar make it one of my favorite eras. I'd say Infected was probably the best though, Deryck was still playing a lot of parts on guitar,the bands performance and sound were at a new level and they played a much longer set.

The Chuck shows seemed kind of choreographed to me
Blastero

Post by Blastero »

Deryck actually talked with his bandmembers in the AKNF era, which was cool, as opposed to the generic, "Say "fuck you, Deryck!'" stuff that he does nowadays.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Hentaiman »

Yeah... the way he talked with Dave and they were making jokes and talking and all during the Astoria show was pretty cool.
Phili
Underclass Hero
First name: Gavinji

Post by Phili »

I loved that bit in the Astoria concert when Dave and Deryck spotted the Canadian flag and were like, "YEAH!" and then 5 minutes later Cone said "Hey, look, it's a Canadian flag" and Dave and Deryck said, "that's really cool, except we noticed that ages ago".
Adam (Open Your Eyes), Amy (Mr. Penguin), and Sasha (Young,Dumb,And Full Of Cum...) are my noobs.
Claudia is my grand-noob.
Lisette (bunny) is my great-grand noob.
Blastero

Post by Blastero »

I think part of the reason Deryck's guitar playing started to get worse during the mid to late Infected Era is because he switched from Gibsons to Fenders.

I usually play an SG, but I still have my first guitar, a Squire Strat, and whenever I pick it up, I have a real hard time playing, because of how different the designs are.

He probably didn't spend enough time getting used to the difference between the two.
Brownmetal
Ma Poubelle
First name: Jeffrey

Post by Brownmetal »

Phili wrote:I loved that bit in the Astoria concert when Dave and Deryck spotted the Canadian flag and were like, "YEAH!" and then 5 minutes later Cone said "Hey, look, it's a Canadian flag" and Dave and Deryck said, "that's really cool, except we noticed that ages ago".
Lol or the bit before the song summer....Dave and Deryck were commenting on the girls dancing and then Deryck says Dave likes the sweaty dudes at the front and Dave said he likes it more then Deryck likes giving himself Beck Spear enimas....what ever that means.

Damn i cant explain it properly :(
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Hentaiman »

lol, yeah i remember it though.
It was awesome anyway, the interaction between the band at the show, too bad Steve couldn't join and make some jokes cuz he was too busy on the drums, but yeah, that was awesome.

and Blastero, maybe you have a point about Deryck's guitar playing considering he changed from playing Les Pauls and SGs, to Telecasters and other Fender shit.
I like Fender, but yeah, i myself has a Les paul and its really hard to get used and play on my friend's Strat, although, to me, during the Chuck area, it just looked like Deryck was lazy and kinda didn't give a shit cuz he himself said those were hard times for the band and they almost split up.
Blastero

Post by Blastero »

Yeah, part of it may have been laziness too. But his guitar playing wasn't fantastic during the Infected Era either.

Like, take Saki Bombs and mess with the balance so you can only hear Deryck's guitar. Some of his power chords sound really really bad.

But yeah, laziness definitely seemed to pop up in the Chuck era. He kind of backed down on playing some of the cool stuff he played in the Infected Era, like the Grab the Devil lead and the first half of the Hell Song solo. And like I said before, he never palm-muted, and just played clean chords in songs like We're All To Blame, which I think is really weird.
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

Well in Sake Bombs he was already playing Fenders right? He still managed to play Grab the Devil pretty good and the first part of The Hell Song solo. But I'll have to tinker with the balance to judge better. I've played with my guitar as alow as Deryck has and it's pretty tough on the wrists to pull off clean chords, especially on fast-tempo songs.

Oh, and Deryck also used his Fenders when Sum 41 did that Metallica Medley on MTV Icon. So I don't know if he really was uncomfortable with the switch from Gibson or he really just got lazy.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Hentaiman »

Yeah really hard to know like that, but also, i would like to listen only to him playing in Sake Bombs.
but what sound balance are talking about?
Blastero

Post by Blastero »

It's the L/R speaker balance. I forget which speaker has only Deryck in it.

And yeah, the single note parts are probably a bit easier for him to play than the full power chords, Fender or not.