London, England - February 21, 2008

All upcoming Sum 41 dates will be posted here. Post live reviews in here as well.

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

punkrockfan182
Bunkface

Post by punkrockfan182 »

Tickets Ordered 8) gonna be great :mrgreen:
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

So, five days left.
This is my very first concert ever (well, I was at Backstreet Boys' concert at the age of 8 ), so I've got some (maybe stupid) questions about the Brixton Academy and being at a concert overall.

1. Can I bring my bag with me? I don't want to carry it on the crowd, so is there a place I can leave it during the show?

2. Should I buy Sum 41 merch before or after the show? Should I go there first so I'd get what I want (and put them in my bag if I can?) or should I assure I get the best spot to watch the show and buy the merch afterwards?

3. http://theresnosolution.com/forum/viewt ... 2895#42895
After reading this thread, I was wondering, how strict is the security check at Brixton Academy? Should I try to hide my camera into my pants or just forget it and enjoy the show without it?
Asho_DirtyPoo
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Asho_DirtyPoo »

I don't know about that specific place, but concert in general:

1 - They will probably check inside your bag for items that aren't allowed (cameras, food, drinks, alcky, drugs, any form of weapon), and there is no coat check or anything like that, generally. So I wouldn't bring something you don't want to have to hang on to through the entire show.

2- Depends on what you want. If it's a shirt, or something you can wear right now - buy before. If it's something you'll have to hold onto during the show...I'd wait until after. They don't usually sell out of stuff. Sometimes they sell out of a certain size of clothing, but otherwise you're fine to wait. Getting a good spot for the show is more important, I think. (And in that regard...if you're RIGHT at the front, be ready to be crushed into the railing at the front, also, try not to be directly in front of the speakers - it makes it sound distorted and crappy, and it wrecks your hearing).

3 - Well, I can't answer that question 'cause that's specific to the venue. If it's just a point-and-shoot, you should be alright getting it in (and if security are being dicks about it, you'll hear about it in line and know to hide it in your unders). If it's an SLR, you're kinda not gonna get in.

Hope that helped at least a little!

GutRock Concert Series - The concert series that raises funds and donates 100% of profits to Inflammatory Bowel Disease research.

GutRock Myspace
GutRock Facebook group.
Our under construction, soon to be website
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher
First name: Daniel
PSN ID: bobbyjames69
Last.fm Username: cbar05
Twitter: @Daniel_Bartlett

Post by Bobbyjames »

from what i know of Brixton, there isnt a cloak room, so if you do bring a bag, you'll be with it for the whole show.

they do search everybody going in, so they will search your bag. if you take it just dont hide any knives or guns in there. lol. i think you will be allowed to bring your camera in, but im not 100% about that.

and about merch, i usually get it before the gig. it gets so busy after the show it takes like an hour to buy something. the venue doesnt start filling up until the main band is on, so you'll be able to find a decent spot. and tbh its a good venue, you can see from pretty much anywhere in there.

one last thing, don't hang around in Brixton, as soon as the show is finished, head straight to the tube station or however your getitn out of there. its not the nicest place in london. a bit shady at times. lol
sum 182

Post by sum 182 »

im going from ireland for the show. getting the pland thursday morning though so gonna be wrecked
TomiT14

Re: London, England - February 21, 2008

Post by TomiT14 »

Thanks for the all info you guys gave me before the show. Really appreciated! 8)

Here's my (kind of) review.

I was totally amazed. The show was a lot better that I expected. After seeing/listening lots of Sum 41 bootlegs, I had an idea what it's going to be like. Still, they were a lot better live than in the videos I've seen. :P

Deryck's voice was great. The moment they started playing Underclass Hero, I was surprised how good his voice sounded. A lot better than you can hear in the bootlegs.

Deryck really knows how to start up the crowd. It wasn't just them playing songs, it was a great show from the beginning to the end. Simply one of the greatest moments in my life so far. :P

There were some cons, however.
The crowd was lame sometimes. Especially during the Machine Gun, when Deryck waved his hand to get some noice from the crowd, half of the crowd just remained silent. But when they played the big hits, they went wild. :P
Also the part when Deryck brings someone to play the guitar, the other dude didn't even touch the guitar, just screamed "punk rawk rulz" so many times in the mic, and the security had to remove him from the stage. I'm sure he didn't even know the band, just grabbing some attention during a random rock show.

Also, the setlist was quite short imo. They played about 22 songs in GCY and SBAHE concerts, but only 16 this time. The common songs they normally play, with only three UH songs. They didn't even play With Me, their newest single. :(

But there were some new stuff I hadn't heard before, like the crowd singing during the UH bridge, Stevo's drum solo between the verses in KOC, and Deryck showing off by playing the Smoke On The Water intro, leading it to Pieces, and Cone trying to get rid of a big slime ball hanging from his mouth. :P

It was a great experience, and I'm really looking forward to seeing them again. :D
But I was also pissed that I had to leave the place right after the concert. I missed them signing autographs and stuff. :(

Here are some pics and videos I took (not so high quality).
http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e399/ ... /Sum%2041/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRdYgYmaXi0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY6YG_zWUqI

And the setlist:

1. Underclass Hero
2. The Hell Song
3. Motivation + 88 (Instrumental part)
4. We're All To Blame
5. Walking Disaster
6. Machine Gun
7. King Of Contradiction
8. In Too Deep
9. Over My Head (Better Off Dead)
10. Makes No Difference
11. Pieces (with short Smoke On The Water -intro)
12. Still Waiting
---
13. My Direction
14. Attitude
15. Fat Lip
16. Pain For Pleasure
Last edited by TomiT14 on Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
punkrockfan182
Bunkface

Post by punkrockfan182 »

it was a great show. hope they come back soon!!!. only complaint was that reuben sucked. but sound and fury were awesome.
DJChaos182
Billy Spleen
First name: David

Post by DJChaos182 »

:o they played Attitude at Brixton! they didnt play it at Southampton :(

agreed about reuben being crap. we didnt see Sound & Fury since they didnt support at Southampton
Thanks to Gibsum 41 for the second sig and thanks to Jeremy for the first one :D

"Jonas Brothers fans, GTFO! this is too fuckin' hard for your ears." < Newbie on his Bullet for my valentine bootleg thread
Vani
Hooch
First name: Vani

Post by Vani »

Thanks for the review, Tomi. Good pics also. Can't wait to see them on May 3rd! :D I hope I could be a bit on the left side, that's where Cone will be :evil: . Moshing people are usually on the middle, arent they?
I'm budgie's noob, and he made the sig :razz:
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Yeah, I was standing right in the middle, and the moment Reuben started playing, the moshing started. But luckily, I found my way to the third row, just in front of Tom. 8)

After finishing P4P, Tom gave me a look and tried to pass me his pick, but he accidentaly dropped it to the security guys :( :P
Vani
Hooch
First name: Vani

Post by Vani »

And the security guards now have his pick.. Ah that sucks. When I was on My Chemical Romance concert last month, they didn't give any of their pics as I remember, or maybe I just didn't see it. But when the concert was over, their crew dropped their rest pics, and I didn't get one :(
I'm budgie's noob, and he made the sig :razz:
HilgaMan
Chuck
First name: Ilkka
AKA: TheSexyHilgaMonster
Instrument 1: Guitar

Post by HilgaMan »

TomiT14 wrote:Thanks for the all info you guys gave me before the show. Really appreciated! 8)

Here's my (kind of) review.

I was totally amazed. The show was a lot better that I expected. After seeing/listening lots of Sum 41 bootlegs, I had an idea what it's going to be like. Still, they were a lot better live than in the videos I've seen. :P

Deryck's voice was great. The moment they started playing Underclass Hero, I was surprised how good his voice sounded. A lot better than you can hear in the bootlegs.

Deryck really knows how to start up the crowd. It wasn't just them playing songs, it was a great show from the beginning to the end. Simply one of the greatest moments in my life so far. :P

There were some cons, however.
The crowd was lame sometimes. Especially during the Machine Gun, when Deryck waved his hand to get some noice from the crowd, half of the crowd just remained silent. But when they played the big hits, they went wild. :P
Also the part when Deryck brings someone to play the guitar, the other dude didn't even touch the guitar, just screamed "punk rawk rulz" so many times in the mic, and the security had to remove him from the stage. I'm sure he didn't even know the band, just grabbing some attention during a random rock show.

Also, the setlist was quite short imo. They played about 22 songs in GCY and SBAHE concerts, but only 16 this time. The common songs they normally play, with only three UH songs. They didn't even play With Me, their newest single. :(

But there were some new stuff I hadn't heard before, like the crowd singing during the UH bridge, Stevo's drum solo between the verses in KOC, and Deryck showing off by playing the Smoke On The Water intro, leading it to Pieces, and Cone trying to get rid of a big slime ball hanging from his mouth. :P

It was a great experience, and I'm really looking forward to seeing them again. :D
But I was also pissed that I had to leave the place right after the concert. I missed them signing autographs and stuff. :(

Here are some pics and videos I took (not so high quality).
http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e399/ ... /Sum%2041/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRdYgYmaXi0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY6YG_zWUqI

And the setlist:

1. Underclass Hero
2. The Hell Song
3. Motivation + 88 (Instrumental part)
4. We're All To Blame
5. Walking Disaster
6. Machine Gun
7. King Of Contradiction
8. In Too Deep
9. Over My Head (Better Off Dead)
10. Makes No Difference
11. Smoke On The Water (Intro)
12. Pieces
13. Still Waiting
---
14. My Direction
15. Attitude
16. Fat Lip
17. Pain For Pleasure
Kiitos! (Thank you!)

Okay no more finnish. Yeah you rewieved it so well that now I'm even more jealous... Sounds fuckin' cool!
Hentaimans N00B! Mess with me and before you know it, you end up in a coffin. Jealous?
Sumfan is my n00b.
hem is my grand-n00b.
zpunkrock
First name: Zack
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by zpunkrock »

they've Played in london before,its on the introduction to destruction DVD.
=)
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

Cool, man. sounds like you had the time of your life.
Yeah, i'm jealous too, i never been to a Sum 41 concert yet :(

The setlist seems pretty typical, but the Smoke On the Water intro is actually a rarity. you have it taped by any chance? :D
I love collecting every intro/song the Sums do, and they do such stuff a lot live, like the riff of Rage Against the Machine's Bullet in the Head and Iron Maiden's The Trooper. kinda those short covers which are still rarities.
zpunkrock
First name: Zack
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by zpunkrock »

Hentaiman wrote:Cool, man. sounds like you had the time of your life.

The setlist seems pretty typical, but the Smoke On the Water intro is actually a rarity. you have it taped by any chance? :D
I love collecting every intro/song the Sums do, and they do such stuff a lot live, like the riff of Rage Against the Machine's Bullet in the Head and Iron Maiden's The Trooper. kinda those short covers which are still rarities.
I'll record it next monday if i can..
i know when it is in the set cos i went to see them in nottingham too...
seeing them live will restore anyones faith in them... :D
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

zpunkrock wrote:
Hentaiman wrote:Cool, man. sounds like you had the time of your life.

I'll record it next monday if i can..
i know when it is in the set cos i went to see them in nottingham too...
seeing them live will restore anyones faith in them... :D
cool, man, thanx.
And i would do freakin' anything to see 'em live! but i never did =/
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Hentaiman wrote:The setlist seems pretty typical, but the Smoke On the Water intro is actually a rarity. you have it taped by any chance? :D
Not by me, but someone recorded it at the same show. It was only a short guitar intro by Deryck, nothing special. :P
But the quality is surprisingly good!

If someone could rip this (video and/or audio), I'd aprreciate that. 8)
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher
First name: Daniel
PSN ID: bobbyjames69
Last.fm Username: cbar05
Twitter: @Daniel_Bartlett

Post by Bobbyjames »

DJChaos182 wrote::o they played Attitude at Brixton! they didnt play it at Southampton :(
they didnt play it at Norwich either. well, from what i can remember anyway, lol
Dan
Billy Spleen
First name: Dan
Instrument 1: Voice
Instrument 2: Drums

Post by Dan »

bobbyjames wrote:
DJChaos182 wrote::o they played Attitude at Brixton! they didnt play it at Southampton :(
they didnt play it at Norwich either. well, from what i can remember anyway, lol
Or Cardiff...
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

bobbyjames wrote:
But they didn't play Elvis or CAFIMT at Brixton. :cry: