Tour story: March Madness!

All upcoming Sum 41 dates will be posted here. Post live reviews in here as well.

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Tour story: March Madness!

Post by TomiT14 »

So, here's another of my tour stories. Forgive me if it becomes a long one, or if I seem overly excited at times.

Back in October, when Sum 41 announced their European tour, I couldn't believe my eyes. Seeing "Helsinki, Finland" on their tour schedule got me jumping around in excitement, I was so happy! Their first appearance here since 2010!

But Sum 41 was about to spend 9 weeks and have 42 shows in Europe. The show in Helsinki, Finland was the show #41 on the 9th week, so I knew I wouldn't be able to resist visiting other shows before that. :silly:

My original plan was to attend some shows in Spain, Portugal and/or Italy. Unfortunately I got a pretty severe flu right before the tour started, so I had to skip those plans. The next possible location for me was Prague, Czech Republic in the beginning of February, which you can read all about in this other thread.

LONDON, UK

My first Sum 41 show ever was at Brixton Academy in London, UK in 2008. After seeing that they were about to play Brixton again, I figured it would be cool to visit the place where it all started for me. And I realized it would be my Sum 41 show #20, so it would be the perfect place to celebrate that achievement. :2cool4u:

Only 2 days before the show I noticed that the Sums were about to play a secret show in London the day before Brixton. I was so pissed that I didn't know about it earlier, since I would've been able to be there. Too bad I had already booked flights for a day too late. And after hearing they played songs like 88 and What I Believe there, damn!

The day I was about to leave to London, I got a bit sick. Still, I wasn't too sick to travel, so I made it to the show, but I wasn't feeling too well to make my way to the front row, my usual spot to watch the show. Instead, I figured this would be a good opportunity to see the Sum 41 all the way from the back for the first time for me. And boy, it's a whole different world back there!

Hollerado was good, they are possibly the best supporting act I've seen at shows, so they were the best choice for me to open for Sum 41 on this tour. You should really see them live if you get the chance!

So, I was ready to see the Sum 41 from a totally different point of view. And hit me right from the start! The lightning show during the Murder Of Crows intro was spectacular, and I realized that there are a lot of thought put into the light show as well. I just never thought about it, since you can't really see it clearly when you're at the front. But now that I got to see the light show, it really gave a whole new depth to the show. Throughout the show the light show was amazing, and the sound was perfect! If you're a front row guy like me, I really recommend you to see a show from the back at least once. It's a whole new experience and gives you more appreciation for the show.

That being said, I'm still a front row guy after this. While the sound and the view were amazing, there was a big part missing. To me, feeling the crowd around me is almost as important as the band's performance itself, so not being able to dance and jump with the crowd left me feel a bit empty. During a song like God Save Us All, I really felt like jumping along, but the crowd around me at the back were mostly standing still, so it would've felt a bit awkward to jump all by myself. Luckily though, I got to be right next to Deryck when he came to the back to sing Makes No Difference and With Me. That arrangement is so cool!

Right before Sum 41's set, I randomly bumped in to Lex aka drummerlikestevo, one of the old time TNSers from back in the day. It was cool to hang out with her, along with some new friends that I made that night. Meeting other Skumfuks at my travels is one reason I enjoy to see these shows abroad. :2cool4u:

The Setlist
Spoiler: show
(Intro)
1. A Murder Of Crows
2. Fake My Own Death
3. The Hell Song
4. Over My Head (Better Off Dead)
5. Goddamn I'm Dead Again
6. Underclass Hero
7. Screaming Bloody Murder
8. There Will Be Blood
9. War
10. Motivation + The Bitter End
11. Grab The Devil
12. We're All To Blame
13. Walking Disaster
14. Makes No Difference
15. With Me
16. God Save Us All (Death To POP)
17. Drum Solo
--Encore 1--
18. No Reason
19. We Will Rock You
20. Still Waiting
21. In Too Deep
--Encore 2--
22. Crash
23. Pieces
24. Welcome To Hell
25. Fat Lip
--Encore 3--
26. Pain For Pleasure
After such an awesome experience in London, of course I wanted to see more. I was already planning a trip to Brussels, Belgium a week later, but for a moment I started think for some reason. I realized that I was already about to see them in Helsinki in 2 weeks, and since the band keeps playing the exact same setlist, maybe it's time to sit this one out and save some money for later. So I decided to skip Brussels. And right after the show in Brussels had ended, I got a message from Lars, saying that they played Fall & Rise and Breaking The Chain. FUCK! Fall & Rise is my favorite song from the new album, and I now I was so pissed that I had missed it!

I sent a message to Tom, saying that they NEED to play those two songs when they come to Helsinki. But I couldn't count on that Tom would read my message in time, not to mention grant my requests, so I decided I wanted to see them once more to be sure to catch those songs live.

STOCKHOLM, SWE

This time, it was time to go back to the front row, no question about it. Hollerado was super again. As was Sum 41. One of the highlights was The Hell Song. Dave's guitar started acting up, so Deryck gave him his guitar. They nailed it nonetheless. During the bridge, Deryck was looking at the people at the front row, pointing at them like he was trying to find someone. Rather quickly he pointed at me, saying "There you are! I knew you'd be here motherfucker!" I was so blown away! How could he "know" I'd be there, since I didn't know about it myself until the day before. Not to mention he'd find me from the crowd! :glad:

That started our little bromance that lasted throughout the show. He pointed at me when introducing Makes No Difference as "This is for the old school Sum 41 fans". Even more awesome was when they finished With Me and Deryck was coming back from the B-stage, they started to play something I wasn't familiar with. But when Deryck came back to stage, he said "This next song's called The Fall & The Rise", whichafter he pointed at me. So I guess he got my request. :silly: And boy that song sounds perfect live! Really got me jumping!

I say this after almost every show, but this was the best show I've attended! For me, the energy was so great, the setlist was perfect, really loved it!

The Setlist
1. A Murder Of Crows
2. Fake My Own Death
3. The Hell Song
6. Underclass Hero
8. There Will Be Blood
9. War
11. Grab The Devil
12. We're All To Blame
13. Walking Disaster
14. Breaking The Chain
15. Makes No Difference
16. With Me
17. The Fall And The Rise
18. Drum Solo
--Encore 1--
19. No Reason
20. We Will Rock You
21. Still Waiting
22. In Too Deep
--Encore 2--
23. Reason To Believe (outro)
24. Pieces
25. Welcome To Hell
26. Fat Lip
--Encore 3--
27. Pain For Pleasure
Woke up early in the morning to head back to the airport. At the line for security check, some of the guys from the Sum 41 crew joined the line behind me. And so did some of the band members. That was a fun coincidence, I thought, but while we were going to the same destination, there were about 10 flights to Helsinki in the next few hours, so that was expected. What I didn't expect though, that we would be on the same flight! :glad: That was so randomly amazing. But since we all had to wake up early in the morning, I didn't want to bother them at the gate. Cone came to talk to me a bit, which was super cool of him.

After arriving at the Helsinki airport, the guys went to wait for their luggage. I didn't have to pick any, so I just passed them quickly wishing them a nice day off. Frank asked me to wait though, saying "Deryck wanted to give you this", and handed me the setlist of the show signed by Deryck. Damn, that was cool of him. But that made me think, maybe he thought that Stockholm was my hometown show, after all that special attention I got from him. :silly: Well, I didn't mind being a Swede for a night, though. :glad:

HELSINKI, FIN

Hometown show, baby! This time I bought the VIP, to be able to get some album covers signed, especially from Dave. I had also planned to take a picture with them, but for some reason I totally forgot about it when I was chatting with them. Bummer! My last picture with them is from 2012, so I guess I have to hope there's a chance next time around.

For some strange reason, I felt really stressed about the show. I was really hoping that everything goes well at the show, that both the band and the crowd would be having a great time. While it's not my responsibility to ensure that everything goes well, somehow I still felt like it. So it was hard for me to get relaxed before the show, and while I had a bunch of froends and family at the show, I was too nervous to enjoy my time with them. It was cool to meet some old and new friends (like fellow TNSers patentti and X^2), as much as I could stand still and talk with people. :glad:

But soon I noticed that I was worrying for nothing. The crowd really started dancing during Hollerado's set, which was the first time for the crowd to do so on this tour. The crowd really enjoyed them, and vice versa. Thanks to Menno the singer for a shoutout ("Give it up to mr. Sum 41 Finland"). After Hollerado finished, the crowd kept chanting "We want more", which is the first time ever I've heard a supporting band get such appreciation.

Then it was Sum 41's turn. While the show started well, for me it was about to become a nightmare. The crowd was the most aggressive I've ever been, the amount of severly drunk people was very high. During Over My Head, a huge drunk guy wanted to make his way to the front row. He tried to get past me, but I refused to give him any room, so he decided to punch me in the face. Luckily I got to punch him back before the crowd got between us. I got scared that I had to leave the show early, but luckily it wasn't that bad. Though for the rest of the show I couldn't see clearly with my other eye, so that made me enjoy the show a little less than usual. But I got my first black eye, so I guess that was something to look back on. :glad:

The setlist was the same as in Stockholm, excluding the piano parts. I guess since it was a small club, they didn't feel like bringing the piano up on stage, so they played Pieces without it. After the show, the band crew gave me the basketball hoop Deryck had been using for warming up as a gift. :glad:

The Setlist
1. A Murder Of Crows
2. Fake My Own Death
3. The Hell Song
6. Underclass Hero
8. There Will Be Blood
9. War
11. Paranoid (Black Sabbath cover)
12. Grab The Devil
13. We're All To Blame
14. Walking Disaster
15. Breaking The Chain
16. Makes No Difference
17. With Me
18. The Fall And The Rise
19. Drum Solo
--Encore 1--
20. No Reason
21. We Will Rock You
22. Still Waiting
23. In Too Deep
--Encore 2--
24. Pieces
25. Welcome To Hell
26. Fat Lip
--Encore 3--
27. Pain For Pleasure
I'll be posting some of the videos I took on my YouTube channel, so keep checking back for some footage. Meanwhile, you could check TNS Facebook page for some of the videos I took in London. :happy:
X^2
Billy Spleen

Post by X^2 »

Hey, awesome story and thanks for the free poster! I was planning to write a small review of the Helsinki show but I completely forgot somehow.

In anycase:
First there was Hollerado.. Wasn't sure first If i knew the band, but then they played AMERICANARAMA, and sure, i was familiar with this song. I remember Dave sharing it in facebook or something years ago, and the music video impressed me with the aesthetics of it. Band was lot better than I expected and I enjoyed it. Laughed at the shout-out they gave to Tomi and apparently they gave out free copies of their record after the show which sounds like a pretty nice thing to do.

But then the Sums.. I thought the show was absolutely fantastic. Compared to when they last played here during Eastpak Antidote tour, it was like a completely different band. Back then while I had tons of fun at the show, I thought it could've sounded a lot better. This time however both the playing and singing was really spot on. Deryck sounded very good and band was tight. Guitars could've been bit louder on the mix, but that's the only complaint I can think of. Btw. Zummo is absolutely a beast on the drums, he has this very punchy and powerful sound that makes the band sound more aggressive.

One thing I find also to be a huge improvement is how much more they played - I dont mean only the duration of the setlist, but also how comparably little time they spent on needless stage-banter. During East-pak antidote tour I thought the show suffered a lot from very long, extended breakdowns during not much anything happened. Deryck throwing water into the crowd or such, while not having much to say was not very fun. Or extending the shit out of the break before SACRIFIIIICE, cause who knows why. This time however, the band played and none of the breaks felt too long but just right.

As Tomi said the crowd was crazy. After entering the venue I made the decision of not reaching for the front as it was filling up so fast with people - instead I went to stand/lean at the soundboard and whatever you call the box that the guy responsible for mixing is working at. Here too however, I had to suffer a bit from absolutely massive pit that was raging throughout the club.. But at least I got no black eyes. The amount of beer flying through the air was ridiculous too - had to dodge once not to get soaked.
So.. TLDR; Show was phenomenal. I think now is the right time to see them live.
samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drums

Re: Tour story: March Madness!

Post by samueeL »

Awesome story, thanks!

I was so sick and feverish during Helsinki show but still enjoyed it from the balcony, gotta just take bunch of meds before show! Sound was really good from the back, tho still so damn loud! I wish concerts were closer to 90db instead of 110db that it was in the back. I don't know how your ears can take it in the front!

The difference in the band was massive compared to the 2010 gig in Helsinki. They sound and play so good right now.
jabharty
First name: Joe

Post by jabharty »

Love the stories, I think you're right in that the setlist is pretty much perfect. The light show Deryck helped with is amazing too. Wish the UK had got a VIP gig at some point though.
Was great to meet you in Brixton! :happy:
Sju
First name: Zuzana

Post by Sju »

Glad to hear that Prague was only the beginning of your Sum adventures :hehe: You have the best stories!
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I enjoy reading these as I get to live vicariously through you, haha. I'm still amazed you have that hoop now, it's a one of a kind souvenir! :2cool4u:
X^2
Billy Spleen

Post by X^2 »

Sound was really good from the back, tho still so damn loud! I wish concerts were closer to 90db instead of 110db that it was in the back. I don't know how your ears can take it in the front!
Oh yeah, I have to agree I think it was bit too loud. People who don't wear ear-plugs (and who seem many) amaze me even further. I can't even enjoy the music if it hurts my ears!
Peytonmallory41
First name: Peyton
Instrument 1: piano
Twitter: peyton_sum41

Post by Peytonmallory41 »

wow I can't believe you have the hoop!!! that's insane! they're so cool! this is getting me extra hype for my show coming up!!! so glad you had fun. I've been waiting to hear about this. haha
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Finally got my videos uploaded. Updated the first post (as well as the Czech thread) with links to my videos. You can't really see Deryck's shoutout during The Hell Song bridge in Stockholm, since I was holding my phone backwards with the 41 salute, but at least you can hear it. :silly: Also featuring Dave playing Deryck's guitar. :glad:
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

TomiT14 wrote:Finally got my videos uploaded. Updated the first post (as well as the Czech thread) with links to my videos. You can't really see Deryck's shoutout during The Hell Song bridge in Stockholm, since I was holding my phone backwards with the 41 salute, but at least you can hear it. :silly: Also featuring Dave playing Deryck's guitar. :glad:
Damn, that was a great moment to capture on camera/audio! :2cool4u: