Starting a band!

Lots of music around nowadays. Want to talk about it?
BrandonCorey
Ma Poubelle

Starting a band!

Post by BrandonCorey »

I'm sure none of you care but I'm pretty excited so I'm gonna create this topic anyway.
I consider myself a drummer. I've been playing drums for about five years. I've played with a few groups but nothing too serious. Since I've moved to the city in september I've been trying hard to get a band togehter. I've jammed with a group of guys who played this "jazz-rock" type stuff and they were realy talented but I couldn't exactly get into the music and they were too good for me in my opinion. So then I tried starting a pop punk group with a few friends I made. That seemed to be going good but the singer/guitarist bailed out on a few practices so I said fuck that band. When I woke up hungover yesterday I realized if I wanted it done right i gotta do it myself. So I called up another drummer I knew and got a few other guys togheter and decided I'm gonna start a new band where I am playing guitar and singing. I'm a bad guitar player and not a great singer but I love to write songs and be in control so I'm gonna give it a shot! I'm really excited for this new project and I'll be posting any demoes that I get done. Stay tuned fuckers!
Name
Bunkface
First name: Dave
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Drums

Re: Starting a band!

Post by Name »

Thats good, play the music you like and make sure you are the leader, not everyone else, i just experienced this problem and fired my singer for it.
you don't need to be a good guitar player to play pop-punk, just know 4 chords
BrandonCorey
Ma Poubelle

Post by BrandonCorey »

Thanks man. Think I'm going for some type of alternative rock sound. An escape from the local post-hardcore trend.
Name
Bunkface
First name: Dave
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by Name »

BrandonCorey wrote:Thanks man. Think I'm going for some type of alternative rock sound. An escape from the local post-hardcore trend.
Yeah, it wouldn't be worth it. By the time you guys get good, that fad will end. Alt. rock has many doors for creativity, post-hardcore is just...screaming...about things you hate...

Have you began writing material yet? I would suggest doing covers of different types of music to find find the style that fits you best.
BrandonCorey
Ma Poubelle

Post by BrandonCorey »

Name wrote:
BrandonCorey wrote:Thanks man. Think I'm going for some type of alternative rock sound. An escape from the local post-hardcore trend.
Yeah, it wouldn't be worth it. By the time you guys get good, that fad will end. Alt. rock has many doors for creativity, post-hardcore is just...screaming...about things you hate...

Have you began writing material yet? I would suggest doing covers of different types of music to find find the style that fits you best.
I have five songs written. With the last band it took so long to get started cuase we had to jam, find a soud and then write songs together so i'm using this band as a way to express myself and play the songs I've written before that wern't suitable for my previous bands. But in saying that I left room in the songs for each instrument to do their own thing.